Sunday, May 27, 2007

Problem Solving

I used to be a nurse (well, I guess once you're a nurse, you're always a nurse, but anyway...) so I spent my days helping people solve their health problems. It was always satisfying to see them get better, but of course that took time, and maybe I would eventually see them again to find out if my suggestions worked. So, when I starting working in a quilt shop it never even occurred to me that a big part of the job would be problem solving. I have noticed over the years, however, that it's a huge part of the job. Helping sewers find the perfect color of thread to match the skirt with a rip in the seam, or sashing to help pull together blocks that don't seem to go together. Borders, borders, we are always looking for the perfect border combination to spice up the quilt. Today the tough issue was a straight pin that had been quilted inside a quilt--how to get it out. And the sewing machine making the strange noise (bobbin winder on), the hook that keeps falling out, (not latched in), the feed dogs that won't feed (packed with fuzz), I could go on and on...the little issues that "are critical in a non-emergency way" (a customer said that to me and I thought it was a great way to put it). There is always something to figure out, and most of the time someone on our staff can. I love seeing the relief on the customer's face, the confusion lifted, the new plan-of-action in place. They come in frustrated and leave happy. What could be more satisfying? I figure it's a kind of mental health care, (when I am feeling guilty about not nursing anymore). We find ways to help people even if it is all about fabric...!

Karen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN, Karen!!
Your fellow nurse,
Gwen

Anonymous said...

I certainly know how grateful I am when I walk in frustrated and leave enlightened, with a perfectly doable plan that solves everything. That's at least half of why you all run such a great shop. You know a lot and you aren't keeping any secrets!

Kim

Anonymous said...

I always leave the shop feeling grateful for the wonderful women with a vast knowledge of quilting that are also able to take the time to care as friends.

another fellow nurse,
Deb

Staff said...

Thank you for your nice comments!
Karen