Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Quilting at the Beach




I spent last week at Corolla Light on the Outer Banks, and in between the delightful weather and plenty of beach time, I taught my neices how to quilt. Pictured on top is Rachel, 17, working on an Itty Bitty Bag and below are Christina and LeeAnn, both 10, with their finished quilts! They did all the piecing, machine quilting, the binding, and even the hand-stitching themselves. It was a great experience for me, and they were just tickled and so proud of their quilts and Rachel of her new purse. We had a sewing room all to ourselves, (the boys had a pool room!) two Berninas, and lots of great fabric as you can see! What fun, I highly recommend getting kids sewing at age 10 or so. They can reach the foot pedal, are great at following directions and have the attention span to keep working until the project is done. I am so proud of them!
Karen

2 comments:

JennyDillyAnna said...

I'm looking forward to the day my daughter is old enough to start sewing and quilting. For now, we'll just work on the walking. Your outing looked like great fun!

Anonymous said...

Love your cat/canary photo Jen!